New Beginnings. — For many, September marked the beginning of a new Sunday School year including new leaders, new groups, and possibly new resources. Now is an important time to check with your leaders to make sure they are off to a good start and solve any problems that might exist.
1. Call every new leader. Visit with them about their experiences during the past month. Ask how you can be of help. Offer to help them solve any issues.
2. Visit every new group. Hopefully, you were able to begin some new groups in September. If you did, make an appointment with the leader of each group to visit their group, express your interest, and encourage them.
3. Answer questions about resources. Many leaders may be using new teaching resources or the resources that have had improvements. Check with your leaders to make sure they understand how to use their resources. If they have any questions or concerns you cannot answer about a LifeWay resource, you can secure an answer from LifeWay Customer Service at 1-800-458-2772 or email@example.com.
4. Evaluate. Evaluate your Sunday School organization now that it has functioned for a month in the new year. Are more groups need? Is every group staffed adequately? Begin making plans for new groups and leaders needed for groups to be launched in January.
Prepare for November and December. – The Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year provide great opportunities for encouragement, building relationships, ministry, and reaching new people. Plan ahead for these actions/activities during November and December.
1. Plan a Thanksgiving Thank-You for Sunday School leaders. Use the time to express sincere appreciation.
2. Encourage leaders to coordinate activities for Thanksgiving and Christmas.
3. Encourage groups to hold Christmas events: parties, caroling, and/or fellowships built around ministry. Encourage the groups to invite lost, unchurched, or unenrolled people to their Christmas events.
4. Encourage groups to use the New Year as an occasion to make new commitments to read the Bible daily.
Senior Sunday School Specialist
LifeWay Christian Resources