But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and forever! Amen. (II Peter 3:18 NIV)
We all need to grow. Teachers are no exception. We learn best by being with others and hearing what they share about Scripture as we study together. Teachers in preschool, children, youth and special needs classes need time to grow as well.
At the beginning of every Sunday School year, as you commission SS teachers, have a covenant for them to sign in worship that would include some of these ideas:
- Be involved in corporate worship. You may think that this is a given, but there are teachers who come to teach and leave after Sunday School. What example are they setting for their class? How do they know what the pastor is sharing that may impact them? Have this in your covenant that they will be faithful to attend the worship service on a regular basis.
- Spend time daily with God. Teachers need time for their own spiritual growth and not just preparing a lesson. Encourage every teacher to have a daily time with God not tied to the lesson. God may reveal something to help them grow and move beyond just the lesson for Sunday.
- Encourage other times for them to be in Bible study. They need to hear other perspectives about a passage. I have seen this done in three ways. Come to Wednesday night Bible study where the pastor leads. Join a small group during the week. Have a teacher share a lesson on Wednesday nights just for teachers. Teachers need at least one Bible study to attend that they are not leading. Add it to the covenant.
- Encourage prayer partners for teachers. If teachers are willing, pair them up with another teacher to be praying for each other during the week.
As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another. (Proverbs 27:17 NIV)
Praying for each other can lead to guidance beyond themselves.
- Encourage one training event per year. Training events can lead to spiritual epiphanies! I have never been to a training event where I didn’t learn something new about myself and what God can do! You can find three large training events coming up in August at: http://bgav.org/sundayschool/
We all need to grow. Encourage your teachers to keep growing. The class is only as strong as the teacher is.